National Geographic Society
The Cyberlearning Summit will be held at the headquarters of the National Geographic Society
National Geographic Society
1145 17th Street Northwest (17th and M)
Washington D.C. 20036
The event will take place in the Grosvenor Auditorium. To get there, enter through the main building, which faces 17th street at the corner of M Street NW. Walk through the main building and across the courtyard to the next building, which has a banner featuring giant fish for the exhibit Ocean Soul. Registration will be in the lobby. Signage will be posted.
Nearest metro stations:
- Farragut West Metro Station (Blue, Orange) (2 stops, 5 minutes to Rosslyn Metro Station/Hyatt Arlington conference hotel)
- Mcpherson Sq Metro Station (Blue, Orange) (3 stops to Rosslyn Metro Station by Hyatt Arlington conference hotel)
- Farragut North Metro Station (Red)
Free shuttle transportation from the conference hotel to and from National Geographic will also be provided the day of the Summit.
Conference Hotel, Hyatt Arlington
The Hyatt Arlington
1325 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia, USA 22209
Tel: +1 703 525 1234
The Hyatt Arlington has agreed to open a few more rooms at the group rate, so if you have not yet reserved a room and want to, you can still try to: reserve a room at the Hyatt Arlington (Select "Attendee" as guest type.)
Nearest metro stations:
- Rosslyn (blue/orange lines). (2 stops to Farragut West Metro Station near the National Geographic Society.)
Summit Registration at Hotel (evening before) and at National Geographic (day of)
A Summit registration desk will be available at the Hyatt Arlington (the conference hotel) from approximately 5-9 pm the evening before the Summit. If possible, please check in and get your badge and program at the conference welcome desk at the hotel the evening before the Summit.
A registration table at National Geographic Society will open starting around 7:30 am. The Summit Program begin at 9 am. Note that food and drinks cannot be taken into the Grovesnor Auditorium, so please arrive early to allow ample time to check in, pick up coffee and breakfast, and meet other participants before talks begin at 9 am.
Informal Dinners by Hotel the Evening Before the Summit
The evening before the Summit, we encourage you to meet at the Summit registration desk at the Hyatt Arlington to meet others for informal dinner and drinks nearby. Groups will be leaving every half hour on the hour from 6-9 pm. Below is a list of restaurants near the conference hotel.
Transportation between Hotel and National Geographic
Free shuttle transportation between the conference hotel and the National Geographic Society will be provided on the day of the Summit at the following approximate times:
- Pickup at Hyatt Arlington: 7:15 am and 7:30 am, going to the National Geographic Society
- Pickup at the National Geographic Society: 6:30 pm and 7:00 pm (end of reception), going to the Hyatt Arlington
Travel between the hotel and National Geographic Society is also easy by metro if you don't catch the shuttle. The shortest metro choice is:
- 2 stops (5 minutes) on orange line: Rosslyn Metro Station (by hotel) to/from Farragut West Metro Station (near National Geographic Society). Cost is $1.95 off-peak hours one-way, $2.15 peak hours one-way.
Alternately, a cab between the hotel and National Geographic Society would be about $20; consider splitting with others. Note that during rush hour, the metro may be faster than a cab.
Food at the Summit
On the day of the Summit, the following will be provided at the National Geographic Society. Note that food and drinks cannot be taken into Grovesnor Auditorium.
- Light breakfast of bagels, fresh fruit, coffee, and juice (7:30-9 am)
- Coffee, drinks and snacks at the morning (10:30-11) and afternoon (3:15-3:45) breaks
- Box lunch (12-1 pm)
- Catered reception (5-7 pm)
The Hyatt Arlington provides complimentary wireless in the lobby of the hotel, but charges a fee for wireless access in guest rooms.
Free wireless access will be available at the National Geographic Society. A wireless network name will be provided when you check in. Note that the network will be a "hidden" network, so have to type the exact network name in to your network search.
There is no registration fee to attend the summit, but in-person attendance is limited and we have reached space limits.
Attendees are responsible for their hotel and travel expenses.
Food at the Summit, and the shuttle between the conference hotel (Hyatt Arlington) and Summit location (National Geographic Society), are provided at no cost to registered attendees.
Restaurants Near the Hyatt Arlington Hotel
- Village Bistro (French, Seafood), 1723 Wilson Blvd, (703) 522-028
- Pho 75 (Vietnamese), 1721 Wilson Blvd, (703) 525-7355
- China Garden (Dim Sum), 1100 Wilson Blvd, (703) 525-5317
- Ray's to the Third (Steak House), 1650 Wilson Blvd, (703) 974-7171
- Guajillo (Mexican), 1727 Wilson Blvd, (703) 807-0840
- Cafe Asia (Asian Fusion), 1550 Wilson Blvd, (703) 469-1953
- Kanpai Restaurant (Sushi, Japanese), 1401 Wilson Blvd, (703) 527-8400
- Piola (Italian), 1550 Wilson Blvd, (703) 528-1502
Restaurants Near the National Geographic Society
- Caribou Coffee (Coffee and breakfast), 1101 17th St NW, (202) 223-6828
- Starbucks (Coffee and breakfast), 801 18th St NW, 202) 785-2024
- Thaitanic (Thai), 1326 14th St NW, (202) 588-1795
- Logan Tavern (American), 1423 P St NW, (202) 332-3710
- Ghana Café (West African), 1336 14th St NW, (202) 387-3845
- Lalibela (Ethiopian), 1415 14th St NW, (202) 265-5700
- Heritage India (Indian), 1337 Connecticut Avenue NW, (202) 331-1414
- Café Luna (Mediterranean, Italian), 1633 P Street NW, (202) 387-4005
- Georgia Brown’s (Southern Style), 950 15th Street NW, (202) 393-4499
- Otello (Italian), 1329 Connecticut Avenue NW, (202) 429-0209
- Skewers (Middle Eastern), 1633 P Street NW, (202) 387-7400
- Spezie Restaurant (Italian), 1736 L Street NW, (202) 467-0777
- Panache (Spanish), 1725 DeSales Street NW, (202) 293-7760
- Tabard Inn (Modern American), 1739 N Street NW, (202) 331-8528